Monday, February 28, 2011

World Maths Day

Today, March 1, is World Maths Day!

Here's what room 12 students have to say about it:

We played math games against other kids from around the world. It felt rushed because you had to answer the questions rapidly and because the whole thing was timed. You could see the timer there in the corner right next to the questions. It was a little bit hard, but it was fun. 

One of the exciting things about it was playing against kids from other countries and just that it was intense trying to answer the questions so quickly. We enjoyed solving math problems against other people. It encouraged us to do math problems and show how fast we are at our math facts. I think it helped us with math. 

Something else that was challenging was when I forgot the answers to really easy problems because I felt stressed out about the time. The kinds of problems we solved so far were single and double digit addition problems. One other cool thing about this was that it helped us get faster at using the numbers on the keyboard.  

Here is some information on the event from the World Math Day Official Blog:

Here is a link to a brief BBC article about the event:

The Guinness World Record site has another article here:

Have a great time everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Pahl,
    I really liked the world maths day thing but I liked the spelling day one a little bit more.
    Because I am better at spelling than i am at math.
    Sincerely,
    Woodchucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Pahl,

    I’m glad you found the website called WorldMathsDay. I like it a whole lot because my favorite subject in school is math. I also like it because it has helped me know my math facts in a snap! Now every time in March when I want to do math I can go to that website.
    From: Burgerpotpie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr. Pahl,
    I thought World Maths Day was really fun because it encouraged ous to be faster at our math facts. I wish we could still play it! It was really fun playing against some kids from our class but it was also distracting playing against them.
    From,
    Sillyband

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you leave us a comment!

Please be sure your comment is interesting for others to read and that it somehow adds to the conversation. Be sure to read it after you type it. Does it say what you want it to say? Is it correctly written and spelled?

Please use ONLY your first name when commenting. You may also tell us where you are from or whether you know someone in our class. Examples: From, John, Mr. Pahl's friend, or From, Dawn, Nik's mom, or Sincerely, Mary, a student in Mr. Salsich's class.

Just below the Comment Box is a drop down menu. Select "Anonymous" from the choices; it is the last choice on the list. Then click "Post Comment." In order for your comment to be approved and posted, you should see a message highlighted in yellow that says "Your comment will appear after moderation." If you see a red line after you click Post Comment, your comment did not go through for some reason. Try it again until you see the message highlighted in yellow.

Thank you!