Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Multiplication Facts

Different people have many different ways of learning their basic math facts. I had to learn my multiplication facts in the 3rd grade. I got grounded because I hadn't learned them yet, and I had to write them all down several times until I had them commited to memory. If there was a fact I didn't know, my dad sent me back to my room to fill yet another piece of paper with 8 x 7 = 56. It took about 4 days without TV or playing with friends, but it sure did the trick.

Now that I'm a teacher, I got to thinking..."THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY."

There are many shortcuts, rhymes you can write, memory tricks, and other good learning strategies you can use to learn these basic facts. We will discuss them in class. It's important that you really understand what 7 x 6 = 42 means, but it's also important just to have the facts memorized in your head. You have to learn letter sounds in order to read words, and you have to learn your basic math facts in order to complete more complex math problems. To help you memorize your basic multiplication facts, my students from last year and I created these Animoto videos. I hope you will watch them often, and I hope you learn your facts very soon. Make it a goal to learn all these facts by the end of October if you don't know them already.

We'll also make them for the 4's and 12's and get them up here soon.



 


 


  


 


 


 


 


 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr. Pahl,
    I think the viedos are really helping me with my multiplaction facts. I heve bin getting really good at them.
    Sincerly,
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you leave us a comment!

Please be sure your comment is interesting for others to read and that it somehow adds to the conversation. Be sure to read it after you type it. Does it say what you want it to say? Is it correctly written and spelled?

Please use ONLY your first name when commenting. You may also tell us where you are from or whether you know someone in our class. Examples: From, John, Mr. Pahl's friend, or From, Dawn, Nik's mom, or Sincerely, Mary, a student in Mr. Salsich's class.

Just below the Comment Box is a drop down menu. Select "Anonymous" from the choices; it is the last choice on the list. Then click "Post Comment." In order for your comment to be approved and posted, you should see a message highlighted in yellow that says "Your comment will appear after moderation." If you see a red line after you click Post Comment, your comment did not go through for some reason. Try it again until you see the message highlighted in yellow.

Thank you!